Fire displaces five

WESTFIELD—A fire on Dickinson Place Sunday has displaced one family, according to the Westfield Fire Department.

Westfield Fire Deputy Chief Eric Bishop reported that a fire that occurred 34 Dickinson Pl. resulted in five people being displaced, as well as three dogs and an unspecified number of cats. No injuries were reported, however.

The fire began in the basement, Bishop said, and was caused by an unattended candle.

According to Bishop, homeowners were notified of the fire when they noticed smoke on the first floor coming from the basement. The only working smoke detectors were on the second floor.

Bishop said that the fire was extinguished by department personnel with minimal damage to the first and second floors of the home, which was mostly smoke damage. Fire damage had also occurred in the basement.

Bishop said that the department’s personnel did an excellent job keeping the fire contained.

The American Red Cross was assisting those affected following the fire.

Most Popular

To Top