Granville Fire dept tackles chimney fire

GRANVILLE – At approximately 2:30 p.m. Tuesday afternoon, the Granville Fire Department responded to a chimney fire on Bruce Road.

The Granville Fire Department responded to a chimney fire on Tuesday afternoon.(WNG File Photo)

Once arriving, firefighters saw heavy smoke coming from the chimney but no fire. In seeking out the problem, fire personnel removed the woodstove of the home along with the interior chimney pipe and discovered a 10 to 15 ft. heavy fire inside the chimney.

According to Tim Rickis, a member of the Granville Fire Department, the creosote built up inside of the chimney was the cause of the fire. Creosote is a dark, brownish oil that’s from coal tar, which burnt material emits, and gathers along chimney walls over time, gets hot, and eventually catches fire.

Rickis added that it’s strongly suggested that homeowners have their chimney cleaned professionally at least once a year.

“That’s the only way to prevent the chimney fire,” said Rickis.

There can be negative effects to ignoring a chimney cleaning.

“If you leave it (creosote) burning inside the chimney for too long, it will eventually crack and spread into the house,” said Rickis.

Fire personnel used a dry chemical fire extinguisher to knock the fire down in about an hour.The Granville Fire Department reported that the fire did not extend into the home and there were no injuries.

To Top