Police Log Friday, Nov. 9, 2018

Major crime and incident report
Friday, Nov. 9, 2018

1:16 a.m.: breaking and entering, Phelps Avenue, a caller reports her former boyfriend broke into her family’s home and stole property including her phone and keys before leaving in her car, police in nearby communities were notified, the victim called again at 3:42 a.m. to report that the suspect had just parked the car in her driveway, the responding officer reports the suspect was found at the residence, Joel A. O’Quinn, 32, of 120 Roosevelt Ave., Springfield, was arrested for breaking and entering a building in the nighttime with intent to commit a felony, using a motor vehicle without authority, larceny from a building, putting a person in fear by entering at night with intent to commit a felony and violation of an abuse prevention order, see story in the Wednesday, Nov. 14, edition of The Westfield News;
9:48 a.m.: breaking and entering, Margerie Street, a caller reports someone attempted to break into his home overnight, the caller said that he was not home but his wife and children were at home at 2:20 a.m. when his wife heard a noise and thought it was him coming home, the officer reports a kitchen window was found to have been forced open and property inside was disturbed but nothing was found to be missing;
12:52 p.m.: city ordinance violation, Frederick Street, an officer detailed to follow up on unpaid city ordinance violation citations reports an offender who has not paid a fine after being cited for smoking marijuana in public has not responded to a letter advising that a criminal complaint would result if the fine continues to be unpaid, a criminal complaint will be filed;
2:36 p.m.: fraud, George Street, a caller reports that he received a phone call purportedly from a federal official who said that the resident owed money for motor vehicle fines and offered him a deal, the victim said that he was told that if he sent his caller $3,000 he would receive $11,000 in return, the man said that he bought gift cards in the amount of $3,000 and after he sent his caller the redemption codes he was offered another deal in which he would received $22,000 if he sent an additional $3,000 in gift cards, the victim said that after he sent the caller the redemption codes for a second $3,000 in gift cards he realized he had been defrauded and ceased to respond to additional calls from the scammer;
5:57 p.m.: robbery, Union Street, a caller from a Union Street convenience store reports he was robbed at gunpoint moments earlier, the responding officer reports the caller said that a masked man showed him a gun and demanded money, the victim said that he gave the man a substantial amount of cash and the suspect fled.

To Top