Westfield Newsroom

George Street fire doused

A fire that started about 10:15am this morning at 49 George St. in Westfield was quickly contained by the responding firefighters.
According to Westfield Fire Department Deputy Chief Mark Devine, the fire started in a mattress of the one bedroom apartment due to smoking.  There are estimated to be between 4-5 people living in the apartment rented by the Department of Health and Human Services.
Deputy Chief Devine indicated that there were 12 firefighters dispatched on the call along with one ambulance and crew. There were no injuries reported but the damage to the residence is estimated at approximately $15,000.

To Top