High winds cause power outages, damage to city

A tree fell on top of the maintenance building in Stanley Park. (Photo submitted by Bob McKean)

WESTFIELD- Extremely heavy winds caused damage across the city Monday and into early Tuesday morning prompting Westfield Gas and Electric crews to work throughout the night to restore power to customers.

In a statement on Facebook, Westfield Gas and Electric listed the areas of the city that were still without power as of about 6 a.m. Tuesday.

“The following areas are still without power and there is a plan in place to address them in a systematic order which will restore as many customers as quickly as possible,” it said in their statement, “Shaker Road, Glenwood Drive, Hampton Ponds area including Old Stage and Long Pond, Northwest Road, West Rd/Bayberry Rds, Feeding Hills Rd, Beckwith Ave, Eastwood Drive, Southview Terrace, Western Circle, Honey Pot Rd, Valley View Dr, 342 Southwick Rd, Sandy Hill Rd, Linden Drive area.”

Stanley Park on Western Avenue suffered damages to the property due to fallen trees. A larger tree fell on the garage of the maintenance building, according to the park’s Managing Director Bob McKean.

McKean said that there were no injuries or damages to vehicles, but wires were down across the park and a couple trees had gone down on the walkway next to the pond.

“We’re just glad all the people are supporting us like Westfield Gas and Electric and the city,” said McKean.

McKean said his employees were at the park in the morning to help with the cleanup and with assessing the damages. He did not yet know the cost of the damages to the property.

Westfield Gas and Electric requested in their statement that residents be patient while crews work to restore power, as resources are stretched thin.

“Our crews have their work cut out for them with outages scattered all over the City so it will take some time. Many of the repairs require removal of trees or setting of new poles before restoration can occur,” said the statement.

Westfield State University’s campus also lost power, but it was restored just before 9:30 p.m..

To Top