SOUTHWICK- The Town of Southwick reported 21 new confirmed COVID-19 cases this week to bring the pandemic total to 451.
Public Health Nurse Kate Johnson said that 17 close contacts of active cases are in quarantine throughout the town. Johnson also reported two additional COVID-19 related deaths. Seven people have now died due to complications from COVID-19 in Southwick.
Johnson said that all seven of those who died fell under the “high risk” category.
As of Thursday, Feb. 11, no Southwick residents were in the hospital with COVID-19.
Johnson said that she expects the number of weekly cases to continue to go down. The infection rate locally, statewide, and nationally has been trending heavily downward since the peak of the pandemic in January.
Health Director Tammy Spencer said Thursday during the remote Board of Health meeting that the Health Department still has not been approved to receive 100 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine per week. She said she was able to pick up an allotment of personal protective equipment (PPE) to be used by the Health and Fire Departments.
After a week of vaccine signups for those aged 75 and older, Spencer said that the 211 vaccine signup assistance phone line has been a success. There had been complaints of the online-only signups the week before, as people aged 75 and older are typically not as technologically literate and had trouble signing up for their dose.
“The Council on Aging told me they have been getting calls from people saying the number actually works and they were able to get an appointment for a vaccine,” said Spencer.