Southwick tobacco barn burns to ground after lightning strikes

Flames burst from the smoldering remains of a tobacco barn on Sheep Pasture Road that was struck by lightning July 6. (Photo by HopeE. Tremblay)

SOUTHWICK – A tobacco barn on Sheep Pasture Road quickly burned to the ground after being struck by lightning Saturday.

Southwick Fire and Police responded to the call July 6 at 5:15 p.m. Fire Chief Russell Anderson said a passerby saw the lightning hit the barn and called 9-1-1.

“It was fully engulfed when we arrived,” Anderson said, adding that in addition to battling the blaze firefighters worked to keep the home across the street from burning. The siding on the front of the house began to melt, but did not catch fire.

The barn was owned by Dwight Arnold Farms Inc., 73 Sheep Pasture Road.

While at the scene Anderson was not sure how many Southwick Fire personnel responded, but said mutual aid was received from Suffield and the station was covered by Granville.

An hour after the fire was reported, the wooden structure was burned and smoldering while firefighters continued to spray the smoking remains as small fires popped up.

On Sunday, Arnold’s crews sorted through the rubble and cleared the property of debris.

Southwick firefighter Brian Schneider surveys the scene of a tobacco barn fire on Sheep Pasture Road July 6, 2019. (Photo by Hope E. Tremblay)

A tobacco barn on Sheep Pasture Road was fully engulfed in flames after lightning struck Saturday evening. (Photo courtesy of Southwick Fire Department).

To Top