Around Town

Murder suspect admits to having ‘blood on his hands’

Vadim Misiruk

WESTFIELD- Vadym Misiruk, of 13 Madison St. in Westfield was in court Friday morning following his arrest for an apparent homicide that was discovered Thursday.

Misiruk, 19, is accused of murdering Nazar Tkach, a 17-year-old male from Southwick whose body was discovered Thursday afternoon in Stanley Park. Misiruk has a past criminal record involving several violent assaults as well a charge of indecent assault and battery.

His next court date was scheduled for Oct. 4.

State Trooper Noah H. Pack reports in a court document that the investigation indicated that Misiruk had fatally slashed Tkach’s throat with a razor blade Wednesday evening. His body was discovered near a chainlink fence that separates Stanley Park from Kensington Avenue.

Witnesses had reported hearing an altercation in the area about the time Tkach was believed to have been killed but the responding officers found no evidence of a disturbance then.

After the body was discovered, investigators spoke with other witnesses who reported that they had been in a vehicle with the suspect and the victim while the two were having an argument in which racial slurs were used. Tkach left the vehicle and went into the woods at Stanley Park to retrieve his bike and Misiruk followed him.

The witnesses reported hearing a further altercation from the pair in the woods before Misiruk returned to the vehicle with a razor blade and blood on his hand.

While in custody, Misiruk admitted to police that he had been arguing with the victim and had followed him into the woods. He also admitted that he had “come out of the woods with a knife in his hand and blood on his hands.”

Pack reports that Misiruk also admitted to returning to the scene the following day, Thursday, to cut a piece of flesh from the victim’s leg and offered several explanations. When asked directly to explain why he assaulted and killed Tkach, Misiruk initially denied his action but then said that he “blacked out” or “snapped” before he killed him.

Misiruk, who was born in Ukraine, was spotted in a vehicle on College Highway Thursday evening by a city detective and was stopped in Southwick. He was arrested and charged with murder.

He was taken to Westfield District Court Friday morning for arraignment which was pending at press time.

The arresting officers reported that they believe Misiruk to be a flight risk and that he should be held without bail.

Stanley Park Director Robert McKean said that the park was open Friday after the scene was cleared.

“It’s a very unfortunate situation,” said McKean. “But the park is fully open and we want people to know the park is safe.”

The Southwick-Tolland-Granville Regional School District Superintendent Jennifer Willard said school counselors were available to speak with students. Tkach was a student at Southwick Regional School.

Peter Currier can be reached at [email protected]


To Top